In the heart of the Aegean Sea, resting like a gem on the cerulean waters, lies the island of Mykonos. A place where the sun kisses the sea, and the island comes alive with a vibrant mix of culture, history, and natural beauty. But if you want to see Mykonos at its most resplendent, then September is the time to visit. The end of summer paints a picture of splendor that is nothing short of breathtaking.
Mykonos Weather in September
September is the perfect month to enjoy the delightful weather of Mykonos. The scorching heat of the peak summer months mellows down, yet the sun shines bright enough to keep the waters warm for swimming.
The average temperature in September ranges between 20-25°C (68-77°F). The sea temperature remains at a pleasant 24°C (75°F), providing the perfect conditions for a refreshing dip. Rain is a rare sight, with only a few sporadic showers towards the end of the month. The moderate winds called ‘Meltemi,’ which are characteristic of the Greek islands, subside, making the sea serene and inviting.
- Daytime Temperature: The daytime temperature averages around 25°C (77°F), making it warm enough for beach activities and sightseeing.
- Night-time Temperature: As the sun sets, the temperature dips to a comfortable 20°C (68°F), just right for an evening stroll or dinner by the beach.
- Sea Temperature: The sea temperature is around 24°C (75°F), ideal for swimming and water sports.
- Sunshine Hours: Expect about 10 hours of glorious sunshine, giving you ample time to explore the island.
- Rainfall: Rainfall is minimal with the chances increasing slightly towards the end of the month.
What to Pack
In September, Mykonos is all about outdoor activities and beach fun. Pack your swimsuits, sunscreens, sunglasses, and beachwear. Don’t forget a light jacket or wrap for the cooler evenings. Comfortable shoes are a must for exploring the charming streets of Mykonos town.
Activities in Mykonos in September
September in Mykonos is a time of fun, frolic, and festivities.
- Beach Fun: With the sun shining brightly and the sea at its warmest, September is the perfect month for beach activities. Whether it’s swimming, snorkeling, or simply sunbathing, the stunning beaches of Mykonos offer a slice of paradise.
- Explore Mykonos Town: Wander through the narrow, winding streets of Mykonos Town. Visit the iconic windmills, enjoy a coffee at the charming cafes, and shop for souvenirs in the bustling markets.
- Boat Tours: Take advantage of the calm sea and go on a boat tour. Visit the nearby islands or enjoy a sunset cruise with a glass of local wine.
In September, Mykonos unveils an end-of-summer spectacle that is both serene and vibrant. The weather is at its most pleasant, and the island is alive with activities and adventures. So, pack your bags and head to Mykonos to witness the end of summer splendor!
Planning a trip to Mykonos?
Check out “Where to Stay in Mykonos in 2024” for top tips on the coolest areas and comfiest hotels, perfect for any travel style or budget. Get the inside scoop here and make your Mykonos adventure unforgettable!
5 Mykonos hotels near Paradise beach
Where to Stay in Mykonos on a Budget
The 15 Best Mykonos Hotels on the Beach
Mykonos vs Santorini. Which one is better to visit?
The 15 best Mykonos Hotels with Private Pools
Mykonos Nightlife Guide: The 20 best bars, night clubs and Beach clubs in Mykonos
Best area to stay in Mykonos
Where to stay in Mykonos: Beach or Town
Best 5 Star Hotels in Mykonos
Best time to visit Mykonos
Best Suite Hotels in Mykonos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Nammos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Town
Best Mykonos Hotels for Yoga
Mykonos to Athens by Ferry or Flight