Should you stay at Mykonos town or close to the best beaches of Mykonos (I.e Psarrou beach, Paraga beach, Paradise beach, Super Paradise beach, Panormos beach, Elia beach)? Obviously, a first-world dilemma, we all love to have during our vacation time.
Let’s get straight to the answer, for the impatient amongst you. The “why” will come later, in this guide. Before we get into our synopsis, keep in mind that no matter whether you choose to stay at the beach, or in the Mykonos town, you will still enjoy the island. No choice can be a disaster, as Mykonos is pretty small and you can fairly quickly move from one point to another.
- If you are a single male or female, or a group of friends, stay at Mykonos town.
- If you want to party, stay at Mykonos town.
- If you are a couple, visiting Mykonos for the first time, stay at Mykonos town.
- If you are on a honeymoon, avoid the main town and select a five-star hotel on the beach (see our post on the best areas and hotels to stay in Mykonos on your honeymoon.
- If you have a family with kids, stay close to the beaches.
- If you only care about relaxing, you don’t love noise and parties too much, stay close to the beaches.
- To find more about the best areas to stay in Mykonos, read our post on the best area to stay in Mykonos
- If you wonder what is the best time to visit Mykonos, read our post here
- If you want to find the best 5-star hotels to stay in Mykonos, read our guide here
When is the Beach Season in Mykonos?
Mykonos has at least 330 days of sunshine every year, but that doesn’t mean that it’s always a beach season on the island. The real beach season is from June to September. During March and
This means that if you come to Mykonos on April, May or October, the beach areas will be a little bit “abandoned”, compared to Mykonos town, so your best choice would be to stay at Mykonos town.
What are the Beach Areas I could stay on Mykonos island?
Let us explain what are the beach areas you could choose to stay in Mykonos, and how far they are from Mykonos town. Mykonos has 25 beaches. Some of them have a small village around them and some others are in the middle of nowhere.
First, go read the best beaches in Mykonos. The best beach areas you could stay in Mykonos are:
– Ornos Village and beach area (3.3 km from Mykonos town, 8 minutes driving time without traffic)
– Platis Gialos beach and village area (4.4 km from Mykonos town, 10 minutes driving time)
– Agios Ioannis village and beach area (4.9 km from Mykonos town, 12 minutes driving time)
– Paradise Beach Area (5.8 km from Mykonos town, 15 minutes driving time)
– Super Paradise Beach Area (7.3km from Mykonos town, 18 minutes driving time)
– Paraga Beach Area (5.6 km from Mykonos town, 15 minutes driving time)
– Panormos beach and village area (7km from Mykonos time, 20 minutes driving time)
– Elia beach area (13 km from Mykonos town, 27 minutes driving time)
– Agios Stefanos beach and village area (5km from Mykonos town, 12 minutes driving time)
Pros and Cons of Staying Close to the Beach Areas:
+ You don’t have to transport yourself from Mykonos town to the beaches during the daytime. You just wake up, eat breakfast on the beach, and jump in the water.
+ The beach areas are more relaxing and easy-going than Mykonos town.
+ Value for money for the hotels you will be staying at, is better, compared to the hotels in Mykonos town.
+ Better for honeymoon couples
– Fewer restaurant options in the beach villages compared to Mykonos town
– Fewer shopping options than in Mykonos town
– You will have to take the bus or the taxi to go to Mykonos town and get back in the evening. Taxis can be 30 euros one way, from the beach areas to Mykonos town. And it might be tough to find a taxi during July and August as there are only 30 taxis on the island
– Less partying options during the night, as the party area after 22:00, is at Mykonos town.
Where to stay in Mykonos Beach or Town, if you are a Group of Friends
If you are a group of friends that come to Mykonos to party and have fun during the day and the evening, then you should better have the Mykonos town as your base. This means that during the day, you will take the bus from Mykonos town (Fabrika Bus stop) to one of your preferred beaches on the island (e.g. Psarou, Super Paradise, Paradise, Paraga, Ornos, Panormos beach, etc) and you will bus back in the afternoon. Then you can easily go out to Mykonos town during the evening and walk back home as late as you want, without worrying about driving or finding a taxi.
After 22:00, all the parties are in Mykonos town, as the parties in the beaches (Tropicana Bar at Paradise beach, or at Super Paradise Bar at Super Paradise beach, or at Nammos at Psarrou beach), are fading out.
Mykonos has only 30 taxis and during July and August, the peak season, it is fairly difficult to get a taxi and prices are also expensive.
Where to Stay in Mykonos Beach or Town, if you are a Couple
If you are a couple, most probably you will want to enjoy the beach and the easy life during the day time, find a nice restaurant to dine out in the evening, go for a romantic or fun walk in a beautiful place and have a cocktail in a nice bar, with nice views.
If you that’s your style as a couple, then you should base yourselves in Mykonos town. You can take the bus and go to a beach during the day time, bus back in the afternoon and then prepare yourselves for the night out in Mykonos town. During the evening in Mykonos town, you can walk in the beautiful streets of Matogiannia, and find a nice restaurant to dine. Mykonos town has the biggest selection of restaurants on the island, so you will have the most choices. Moreover, Mykonos town has the most bars on the island and you can also enjoy romantic views from Little Venice bars.
Depending on the month you are traveling to Mykonos island, the bus service from Mykonos town to the beach areas, stop at 12:00 pm. This means that you will either have to cut your night in the middle to return back or you will have to pay a taxi to get you back, which could set you up 30 euros each time.
Moreover, don’t worry that if you stay at Mykonos town you cannot enjoy some privacy as a couple, or some relaxed moments away from the crowds. You can still have romantic walks, find bars with fewer people and your own small piece of paradise in Mykonos town.
Shopping is also much better in Mykonos town rather than in the beach areas.
We hope that now you have a more clear idea of where to stay in Mykonos beach or town.
5 Mykonos hotels near Paradise beach
Where to Stay in Mykonos on a Budget
The 15 Best Mykonos Hotels on the Beach
Mykonos vs Santorini. Which one is better to visit?
The 15 best Mykonos Hotels with Private Pools
Mykonos Nightlife Guide: The 20 best bars, night clubs and Beach clubs in Mykonos
Best area to stay in Mykonos
Where to stay in Mykonos: Beach or Town
Best 5 Star Hotels in Mykonos
Best time to visit Mykonos
Best Suite Hotels in Mykonos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Nammos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Town
Best Mykonos Hotels for Yoga
Mykonos to Athens by Ferry or Flight