Mykonos Weather in December: Winter on the Island
Endless sunshine, turquoise waters and white-washed houses; these are the images that often spring to mind when one thinks of Mykonos. However, as the calendar flips to December, the weather on this picturesque Greek island takes a turn. This doesn’t mean that Mykonos loses any of its charm. In fact, spending winter on the island offers a unique, more authentic Greek experience.
December sees the onset of winter in Mykonos. The average daytime temperature hovers around 15°C (59°F), dropping to an average of 10°C (50°F) at night. While these temperatures may not invite a dip in the sea, they are perfect for exploring the island without the summer crowds.
Rain and Wind
December is one of the wettest months in Mykonos, with an average of 97mm of rainfall spread over 12 days. The island experiences the Meltemi winds, which can be particularly strong during this month. These winds bring a chill to the air but also ensure clear skies and excellent visibility.
The sea temperature in December averages around 17°C (63°F). While it’s a bit chilly for swimming, it’s perfect for those who enjoy water sports like windsurfing and kiteboarding.
What to Wear
Given the varied weather conditions, dressing in layers is key. Some essentials to pack include:
- Waterproof Jacket: To stay dry during sudden showers.
- Warm Clothing: Sweaters, scarves and gloves for the cooler evenings.
- Comfortable Shoes: For exploring the island’s many sights.
Winter Activities in Mykonos
While the weather might be cooler, there’s still plenty to see and do in Mykonos during December.
- Town Exploration: Wander around Mykonos Town, also known as Chora, and explore its narrow, winding streets, quaint shops and charming cafes.
- Visit Museums: The Archaeological Museum, the Folklore Museum, and the Maritime Museum are all worth a visit.
- Churches and Monasteries: Mykonos is home to stunning churches and monasteries, such as the Monastery of Panagia Tourliani and the Church of Paraportiani.
- Traditional Greek Cuisine: Enjoy local Greek cuisine in the island’s tavernas. Try traditional winter dishes like Moussaka and Baklava.
Visiting Mykonos in December offers a different perspective of the island. It’s a time when the pace slows down, the locals have more time to chat, and you can experience the island’s unique charm without the summer crowds. And while the weather may be a bit chilly, with the right clothing and a sense of adventure, a winter trip to Mykonos can be a unique and rewarding experience.
So why not pack your bags, embrace the chill and experience the beauty of Mykonos in winter? You might just find that it’s the perfect time to visit this Greek paradise.
Planning a trip to Mykonos?
Check out “Where to Stay in Mykonos in 2024” for top tips on the coolest areas and comfiest hotels, perfect for any travel style or budget. Get the inside scoop here and make your Mykonos adventure unforgettable!
5 Mykonos hotels near Paradise beach
Where to Stay in Mykonos on a Budget
The 15 Best Mykonos Hotels on the Beach
Mykonos vs Santorini. Which one is better to visit?
The 15 best Mykonos Hotels with Private Pools
Mykonos Nightlife Guide: The 20 best bars, night clubs and Beach clubs in Mykonos
Best area to stay in Mykonos
Where to stay in Mykonos: Beach or Town
Best 5 Star Hotels in Mykonos
Best time to visit Mykonos
Best Suite Hotels in Mykonos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Nammos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Town
Best Mykonos Hotels for Yoga
Mykonos to Athens by Ferry or Flight