The azure skies, the crystal-clear turquoise waters, the whitewashed buildings and the vibrant nightlife are just a few reasons that make the Greek Islands a must-visit destination. Among the many islands, two that stand out are Mykonos and Santorini. So, Mykonos how far from Santorini: Measuring the distance, let’s dive in!
The Distance Between Mykonos and Santorini
If you are planning a trip to Greece and are wondering about the distance between these two iconic islands, the answer depends on the mode of transport. As the crow flies, the distance between Mykonos and Santorini is approximately 149 kilometers (92.58 miles). However, the travel distance often depends on the route taken.
When you are island-hopping in Greece, the ferry is the most popular mode of transport. The distance between Mykonos and Santorini by ferry is approximately 150 kilometers (93 miles). The journey takes around 2.5 to 4 hours depending on the type of ferry service you choose. High-speed ferries can make the journey in the quicker time, while slower, conventional ferries take longer.
Although there is a direct flight route between Mykonos and Santorini, flights usually stop in Athens. This makes the overall journey longer. The flight distance is approximately 230 kilometers (143 miles), and the total travel time, including the stopover, can be anywhere from 3 to 6 hours.
Exploring Mykonos and Santorini
While the distance between Mykonos and Santorini might be relatively short, the experiences these islands offer are vastly different.
Mykonos, the ‘Island of the Winds’, is famous for its cosmopolitan atmosphere, vibrant nightlife, and stunning beaches. The island is also rich in history and culture, with many ancient sites and museums.
- Windmills of Kato Mili: Overlooking the sea, these iconic windmills are a must-visit. Dating back to the 16th century, they offer a glimpse into the island’s past.
- Little Venice: One of the most picturesque parts of the island, Little Venice is home to colorful buildings perched right on the sea’s edge. It’s a perfect spot for a sunset cocktail.
- Paradise Beach: Known for its golden sand and clear waters, Paradise Beach is a hotspot for party-goers.
Santorini, on the other hand, is famous for its breathtaking sunsets, the iconic blue-domed churches in Oia, and its unique volcanic beaches. The island’s rich history is evident in its archaeological sites and museums.
- Oia: Famous for its sunset, Oia is also home to charming boutique shops, exquisite restaurants, and the iconic blue-domed churches.
- Akrotiri Archaeological Site: Often referred to as the ‘Greek Pompeii’, this Minoan Bronze Age settlement was preserved under volcanic ash, providing valuable insights into ancient life.
- Perissa Black Sand Beach: One of Santorini’s most famous beaches, it’s known for its unique black sand due to the island’s volcanic activity.
So, while Mykonos and Santorini may not be far in terms of distance, they each offer a unique experience that makes visiting both a must when in Greece.
Whether you choose to journey by ferry or air, the distance from Mykonos to Santorini is easily covered, making it possible to experience the unique charms of both islands. From the vibrant nightlife of Mykonos to the breathtaking sunsets of Santorini, this Greek island-hopping adventure is sure to leave you with unforgettable memories.
Planning a trip to Mykonos?
Check out “Where to Stay in Mykonos in 2024” for top tips on the coolest areas and comfiest hotels, perfect for any travel style or budget. Get the inside scoop here and make your Mykonos adventure unforgettable!
5 Mykonos hotels near Paradise beach
Where to Stay in Mykonos on a Budget
The 15 Best Mykonos Hotels on the Beach
Mykonos vs Santorini. Which one is better to visit?
The 15 best Mykonos Hotels with Private Pools
Mykonos Nightlife Guide: The 20 best bars, night clubs and Beach clubs in Mykonos
Best area to stay in Mykonos
Where to stay in Mykonos: Beach or Town
Best 5 Star Hotels in Mykonos
Best time to visit Mykonos
Best Suite Hotels in Mykonos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Nammos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Town
Best Mykonos Hotels for Yoga
Mykonos to Athens by Ferry or Flight