Welcome to the heart of the Aegean, to the island of the winds, to the international glitz and glam; welcome to Mykonos. If you are wondering when the best time is to visit this jewel of the Cyclades, then you’ve come to the right place.
When Does Mykonos Season Start?
Mykonos, the island that never sleeps, is famous for its vibrant nightlife, crystal-clear turquoise waters, and the traditional Cycladic architecture. The best time to visit this stunning island is during the Mykonos season which typically runs from late April to early October. However, the island’s charm is not limited to these months, and it offers different experiences throughout the year.
Spring (April – June)
Spring in Mykonos is a magical time. The island begins to awaken from its winter slumber, and the landscapes are adorned with blooming flowers, creating a colourful and vibrant atmosphere. This is the perfect time for those looking for a tranquil escape, as the island is less crowded and the weather is mild.
- April: The Mykonos season officially starts in April. The weather begins to warm up, with average temperatures ranging from 12°C to 19°C. This is the perfect time for sightseeing, as the island is not crowded and the prices are lower.
- May: May is when the island starts to get busier, with more tourists arriving. The weather is perfect, with temperatures ranging from 16°C to 24°C. The sea is still a bit chilly, but it’s the perfect time for hiking, exploring, and enjoying the stunning landscapes.
- June: June marks the start of the summer season. The weather is hot, with average temperatures ranging from 22°C to 29°C, and the sea is warm enough for swimming. This is when the island’s renowned nightlife starts to heat up.
Summer (July – September)
Summer is the peak season in Mykonos. The island is buzzing with energy, the beaches are packed, and the nightlife is at its peak. This is the time when Mykonos truly comes alive.
- July: July is one of the hottest months, with temperatures ranging from 24°C to 30°C. The island is packed with tourists, and the prices are at their highest. This is the best time for beach lovers and party-goers.
- August: August is the busiest month in Mykonos. The weather is hot, with temperatures ranging from 24°C to 29°C. The island is crowded, and the nightlife is in full swing. This is the time when the world-famous beach parties take place.
- September: September marks the end of the summer season. The weather is still warm, with temperatures ranging from 21°C to 26°C, but the crowds start to thin out. This is a great time to visit if you want to enjoy the warm weather without the crowds.
Autumn (October – December)
Autumn is a wonderful time to visit Mykonos. The weather is still pleasant, the island is less crowded, and the prices are lower. The landscapes are adorned with the colours of autumn, creating a beautiful and serene atmosphere.
- October: October is the end of the Mykonos season. The weather is still warm, with temperatures ranging from 17°C to 23°C, but the sea is a bit chilly for swimming. This is a great time to explore the island and enjoy its natural beauty without the crowds.
- November and December: These months mark the start of the off-season. The weather is cooler, with temperatures ranging from 12°C to 18°C, and the island is quiet. This is the perfect time for a peaceful retreat.
To sum it up, the Mykonos season starts in April and ends in October, with each month offering a unique experience. Whether you’re a party animal, a beach lover, a nature enthusiast, or a culture vulture, Mykonos has something for everyone. Plan your visit according to your preferences, and get ready for an unforgettable journey to the island of the winds.
Planning Your Ideal Visit
Planning your ideal visit to Mykonos involves considering several factors, including your interests, budget, and the type of experience you’re looking for. Here are some tips to help you plan your perfect trip:
- Decide on the best time to visit: As discussed above, each season offers a different experience. Choose the time that best suits your preferences.
- Book in advance: Mykonos is a popular destination, and accommodations can fill up quickly, especially during the peak season. Booking your accommodations and flights in advance can help you secure the best deals and avoid last-minute hassles.
- Plan your itinerary: Mykonos has a lot to offer, from beautiful beaches and charming villages to archaeological sites and vibrant nightlife. Research the attractions and activities that interest you, and plan your itinerary accordingly.
- Pack appropriately: Don’t forget to pack your beachwear, comfortable footwear for exploring, and a light jacket for the cooler evenings.
- Respect the local customs: Mykonos is a cosmopolitan island, but it still holds onto its traditions. Respect the local customs and culture to ensure a pleasant and respectful visit.
Mykonos is a destination that caters to all types of travellers. With its stunning landscapes, rich history, vibrant nightlife, and friendly locals, it promises an unforgettable experience. So, when does the Mykonos season start? It starts when you decide to embark on an extraordinary journey to this beautiful island.
Planning a trip to Mykonos?
Check out “Where to Stay in Mykonos in 2024” for top tips on the coolest areas and comfiest hotels, perfect for any travel style or budget. Get the inside scoop here and make your Mykonos adventure unforgettable!
5 Mykonos hotels near Paradise beach
Where to Stay in Mykonos on a Budget
The 15 Best Mykonos Hotels on the Beach
Mykonos vs Santorini. Which one is better to visit?
The 15 best Mykonos Hotels with Private Pools
Mykonos Nightlife Guide: The 20 best bars, night clubs and Beach clubs in Mykonos
Best area to stay in Mykonos
Where to stay in Mykonos: Beach or Town
Best 5 Star Hotels in Mykonos
Best time to visit Mykonos
Best Suite Hotels in Mykonos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Nammos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Town
Best Mykonos Hotels for Yoga
Mykonos to Athens by Ferry or Flight