There’s an island in the heart of the Aegean Sea, where the sun shines brighter, the water is bluer, and the windmills whisper tales of centuries past. This place, renowned for its vibrant nightlife and stunning beaches, is none other than Mykonos. But what if you’re visiting Mykonos with a baby on board? Well, the good news is, Mykonos is not just a party island, it’s a pregnancy-friendly paradise. So, let’s explore how to have a safe and enjoyable journey to Mykonos when pregnant.
1. Plan Your Trip
The first step to a successful trip is always planning. When pregnant, this becomes especially important. Here are a few tips to help you plan your journey:
- Timing: Consider traveling during the second trimester when morning sickness usually subsides, and the risk of preterm labor is minimal. Also, consider the island’s weather. Mykonos is at its best from late April to early October, with pleasant temperatures and less wind.
- Health Care: Research the healthcare facilities available on the island. Mykonos has a health center in town and a few private clinics. However, for serious complications, a trip to Athens might be necessary. It’s always good to know your options.
- Travel Insurance: Make sure your travel insurance covers pregnancy-related emergencies. This will give you peace of mind during your trip.
2. Comfortable Accommodation
When pregnant, comfort is key, and this certainly applies to accommodation. Consider staying in a hotel or villa with a pool, so you can cool down and relax. Look for places with air conditioning, comfortable beds, and proximity to the town or beach. Accessibility is also important, as Mykonos is known for its hilly terrain and cobblestone streets.
3. Eating and Drinking
Greek cuisine is a feast for the senses, and Mykonos offers a wide range of dining options. However, when pregnant, there are certain things to keep in mind:
- Stay Hydrated: The Mediterranean sun can be quite intense, so drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Food Choices: Indulge in Greek salads, grilled fish, and fresh fruits. But avoid uncooked or undercooked seafood, and cheeses made with unpasteurized milk.
- Alcohol: While Mykonos might be famous for its cocktails, remember that it’s best to avoid alcohol during pregnancy. Instead, try the non-alcoholic versions of local drinks.
4. Sightseeing and Activities
Mykonos has plenty to offer beyond its nightlife. Here are some pregnancy-friendly activities:
- Beach Time: Mykonos has some of the most beautiful beaches in Greece. Opt for the quieter ones like Ornos or Agios Ioannis. Remember to stay in the shade and use sun protection.
- Historical Sites: Visit the iconic windmills, explore the archaeological site of Delos, or wander around the charming streets of Mykonos Town.
- Shopping: Mykonos Town is a shopping paradise with a plethora of boutiques selling everything from handmade jewelry to local artwork.
5. Rest and Relaxation
Last but not least, remember to rest. Pregnancy can be tiring, and it’s important to listen to your body. Take advantage of the island’s spa facilities, enjoy a prenatal massage, or just relax by the pool with a good book.
In conclusion, Mykonos offers a mix of relaxation, culture, and natural beauty that can be enjoyed even when pregnant. With a little planning and some sensible choices, you can have a safe and enjoyable journey to this beautiful Greek island. So pack your bags, and get ready for a memorable babymoon in Mykonos!
Planning a trip to Mykonos?
Check out “Where to Stay in Mykonos in 2024” for top tips on the coolest areas and comfiest hotels, perfect for any travel style or budget. Get the inside scoop here and make your Mykonos adventure unforgettable!
5 Mykonos hotels near Paradise beach
Where to Stay in Mykonos on a Budget
The 15 Best Mykonos Hotels on the Beach
Mykonos vs Santorini. Which one is better to visit?
The 15 best Mykonos Hotels with Private Pools
Mykonos Nightlife Guide: The 20 best bars, night clubs and Beach clubs in Mykonos
Best area to stay in Mykonos
Where to stay in Mykonos: Beach or Town
Best 5 Star Hotels in Mykonos
Best time to visit Mykonos
Best Suite Hotels in Mykonos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Nammos
Best Mykonos Hotels near Town
Best Mykonos Hotels for Yoga
Mykonos to Athens by Ferry or Flight